Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Cleaning

I've been struggling to get out of bed lately, to find the motivation to get dressed and brush my teeth. I've let a lot of things go besides myself, including my house. It's been neglected for so long that my dust bunnies have procreated. My piles have piles. It got so bad that I finally found the motivation to get up and do something about it.

I cleaned... one room. The kitchen.

It sounds small, but to me it was monumental. I also figured that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it well. I scrubbed the countertop under the appliances. I cleaned the grime on the floor around and behind the fridge, oven, and dishwasher. I polished my sink with windex. I used a razorblade to scrub cooked-on goo off my glass top stove. I tossed or organized every piece of paper my kids have brought home from school and dumped on the counter. Under that, I found junk mail, magazines, and paper airplanes. Broken crayons, dirty dishes, plastic care bears and hot wheels. Dried on spaghetti sauce! (
oh, I am so embarassed.) For the finishing touch, I mopped the floor. Top to bottom, my kitchen sparkles like Edward in a meadow.

I. Feel. Tired.

Ok, I feel proud too. I feel hope. I feel motivated to maybe move on to another room. (The hall closet, it's the smallest). I locked myself in my room with my laptop again while my kids watched TV, but I am still encouraged by my litle breakthrough. Maybe I'll clean under the back porch, the graveyard of garden tools and yard toys of years past! (
baby steps Jill, baby steps.)






4 comments:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Baby steps... are you kidding me? That kitchen is unbelievable! It would absolutely pass the white glove, squeaky clean test! :)

Kathy P said...

WOW -- Now that looks like a kitchen I could spend time in... How long did it last? If it were my house, it may have lasted 12 1/2 minutes...

Great job!!

Adam and Emily said...

Very nice...now come do mine!

The Birthday Group said...

Excellent! Take comfort in those small accomplishments. Not to put a damper on things, but be careful that you don't go manic. I do the exact same thing when I am manic, then I crash even harder when I come down. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being manic, but it's just as bad as the depressive side.

It sure does feel good though to get the house in order and it makes me feel better too, but like you extremely exhausted.

The kitchen looks GREAT! HOORAY for you! :)

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!