Friday, March 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mother-in-law's birthday! Vicki has been my second mom for almost 12 years, but she has been my friend for 20. Since I've been making lists lately, I decided to make a list of the things I love about Mom.

Mom loves her family, it is her number one priority. This photo is her father, her son, and her granddaughter. Four generations in the same room! Every holiday is planned around her family. Every 3-day weekend is a chance to travel together. Every Sunday is a time to gather, share a meal, catch up on our lives. She raised 7 incredible children, one of whom I liked so much I married him! :) I admire her love, sacrifice, and dedication to her eternal family.


Christmas 2000, Ember's 1st Christmas.


Mom had 6 boys, while her sister was busy having 6 girls! She wanted a daughter so much, and when her youngest was 5 years old, she finally got her wish. Noelle, her only daughter, was born only 4 months after I met her family. Now 20 years later she not only has Noelle, but she has four daughters-in-law! I consider myself one of her daughters, and I love her like I love my own mother. She is a great example to me and she helps me want to be a better woman.


Mom is a great listener. She's had her own health problems over the years, but when I'm struggling with mine she is quick to provide comfort and support. Whenever she reads a newspaper article about my disease, she saves it for me. When I'm depressed, she does her best to cheer me up. She has a daughter-in-law with Celiac disease and she tries to plan the family dinner menu's around things that she can eat. She wants us to be healthy and happy. She gives me nourishment and strength for my body and my soul.


Mom is so creative, and so talented. She hasn't had the strength in her hands to do those things she used to love so much, but the evidence of it is all around her. I remember playing in the backyard of their home when I was 14 or so and she was growing vegetables and flowers all around the yard. She is a talented gardener, and cook. She has handmade crafts around her home that she has painted, and her quilting ability is enviable. She made two of the most beautiful blessing gowns I've ever seen for both of my daughters. She is talented, and she encourages her friends & family to develop their own talents as well.


Mom has a strong testimony of the gospel and in her Savior, Jesus Christ. She attends the temple often, she reads her scriptures, she shares lessons she's learned in church or in life, she shares promptings she's received on behalf of her family, & she offers prayers and encouragement when life's struggles become too heavy to bear. I am so glad that I have such a wonderful example of righteous living in her. She is my Mom & my friend.

I love you Vicki, happy birthday.

2 comments:

Austin said...

Amen!
I totally agree. Mom, you are amazing and I love you very much.

Leave it to Jill to put it all in words!

Gary & Sharlene Merrill said...

I agree Vicki is amazing. love her lots.You did a great job telling us.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!