Tuesday, March 3, 2009

love continued...

I was thinking last night about the next stage of learning how to love. We love our parents, easy. We love our spouse, easy. We love our kids... not always easy. Then: our kids grow up and get married. THEY choose someone that they love, but who we as parents have no influence over. We didn't raise them, we didn't shape them, and yet they are now a part of our family. That kind of love doesn't seem to be as easy to me, though my kids have yet to reach that stage (thank goodness).

But back to my thoughts on marriage & divorce: I overheard a groom say once ON HIS WEDDING DAY... (after I asked him if he was nervous)... "well, if it doesn't work out I can always get divorced and try again." Why didn't you try again the first time?!?! Problems aren't solved because the person you're married to is perfect and exactly what you wanted since you were a little girl dreaming of the perfect wedding. The perfect marriage is created over time, through the refiners fire, through forgiveness, through the Atonement.

So yes, the painted van was funny. I admit, I laughed out loud and that's why I took the picture. It wasn't until later that I started thinking about marriage, divorce, love & families. I'm just thankful Austin and I got it right the first time (and second, and third, and fourth, and fifth....)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Early in our marriage I had a hard time knowing what to do if I get angry at Brian. When you date you tell yourself, I can leave if I want to. When you are married you think, crap I'm stuck. :)

Once when I was really angry I said, " I don't know if this is going to work out." He replied, "Well it won't if you think like that." He was right. As long as you see divorce as an option, when things get tough your eyes will desperately search for greener pastures. When you realize there are no greener pastures except the ones you create right where you are, then you put in the work to create your own happiness. Every peice of land has different benefits and challenges. Just as if we sought out other spouse there would be improvements and definite downgrades. From the beginning I knew Brian would be an excellent husband and father. Isn't it great that we always have another opportunity to get it right.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!