Tuesday, March 17, 2009

GRRR!!!

Does anybody have kids in their neighborhood that your children are friends with, but who you just don't like much? I hate to say that about any children, but there is this one family on our block that is socially retarted. They are disrespectful, destructive, and lack manners of any kind. I just hope and pray that my children are polite and respectful when they are at other people's homes!

Here's what I found them doing this afternoon when I went outside to check on them:

This was my grandpa's chair. It was on the back porch because the legs were loose and in need of repair. We hadn't decided yet whether or not to keep it, but I think now it's going in the trash barrel. They like breaking things, especially things that don't belong to them.


This is a desk lamp that Austin put outside so he could point some light in a specific direction while doing yardwork after dark. (Sometimes that's the only time it can get done, right?) Well, he forgot to bring it back in the house. These kids decided to rip the wires loose, pull the top of the lamp off (it's out in the grass, conspicuously missing from this picture) and loosen all the screws. I'm pretty sure it's ruined. Our trash pile this week is going to be larger than normal.


This is our porch railing. Notice the missing rail? Gee, that's safe. One of the boys kicked it out so he'd have room to climb through and hang onto the rail from the OUTSIDE, leaning out and over the yard doing some kind of acrobatics. Keep in mind that the rest of those rails are 20 years old and never weather sealed... they're a little weak and rotting in some places. Just what I need, a lawsuit from the neighbor mom who doesn't teach her kids manners because one of them got injured at my house.



I especially like the closeup of the rusty nail that came so close to scraping the top of this boys head. What if he decided to stand up underneath it while climbing through to the other side? *shudder*


What do you do with neighbor kids who have no manners or respect? I have set some ground rules, but they manage to find new ones to break every time they're here. I don't want to offfend any parents, or upset my kids who like to play with them, but I need some more control here. Any suggestions?

To top off my afternoon, here's where I found my dog: she climbed into the bathtub while I was outside taking pictures of the destruction and started chewing on the kids bath toys. Great. Maybe I should just go back to bed.

8 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

Personally, if it were me, I wouldn't allow them to come over until they could be more respectful. I would also have a talk with their parents, even though it seems it wouldn't help, at least you tried. It's horrible that they treat other's property that way, let alone teach your kids how to be disrespectful. I'm sorry you had such a bad day!

Kathy P said...

Ahhh, I feel your pain. We have a family on our block like that. They have broken so many toys, pounded holes in our walls, even almost killed our sea anemone by getting a chair, standing tall enough to reach into our salt water tank and pull it from the rock...

When ever they get like that I just tell them, "Go home and tell your mom what you did (I don't think they ever do) You are not allowed to be here if you do that."

Episodes are fewer and fewer, but I just reduce the amount of time they play together, or make them play across the street in the green belt.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I agree with commenter number 1. The kids would totally not be allowed at my house (maybe ever). I start to salivate over things like this and would look for the opportunity to put someone in their place. I know I shouldn't stereotype, however, I bet the house these kids live in is trashed, the parents are never on time to anything, and are content to never reign their kids in. I feel so bad for you! DROP THE HAMMER JILL!

-Jon-

Adam and Emily said...

I would forbid those kids from ever setting foot on my property again. Kids like that are a product of their enviroment. Therefore I wouldn't allow my kids to play over at their house either. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Call their Parents who must be socially retarded as well and tell them what destructive path their Tasmanian devils left at your house, and that they should have to replace it. And/or tell them and the crazy kids that they aren't welcome at your house anymore because of their bad behavior and lack of respect for other people's belongings. If my kids did anything of the sort they'd have to work to pay for it, be grounded from the victims and spanked! My rules apply to my kids in ALL locations.

Sarah said...

Oh MAN!! I dont even have words...Soooooo not allowed over anymore; and they would be very nicely shown and told what they so disrespectfuly did and then they would be shown the door.

Sarah said...

...but the dog would be forgiven!

Jill said...

Who couldn't forgive that little puppy face? I just love my dog! This picture is now my desktop background at home, AND work.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!