Thursday, July 29, 2010

A more beautiful therapy


Once upon a time there was a girl who loved to play the violin. She was very talented, even earning herself a free pass to college through her instrument. Drawing beautiful music out of those four strings with her bow brought a sense of beauty, accomplishment, and peace.

Then that girl went a little crazy, and the violin sat buried under a pile of forgotten things at the back of the closet. A lot of time went by where the girl was sad, lonely, and angry. She couldn't find anything that would make her happy. She tried medication, faith, and therapy among other things. Relief was fleeting and the sadness would return.

The girl, in her desperate attempts to find some joy that was lost, dusted off that old violin and played. For hours and hours she made beautiful music, her muscles and fingers remembering exactly what they were supposed to do. The girl was happy.





*** Update ***
The girl is still seeing a psychiatrist and taking drugs, so music doesn't fix everything every time. It just soothes the soul when the soul is ready for it.


4 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

Jill, a piano does that for me! I'm glad you played some.

Maren said...

Glad to hear you started playing again. You know I love playing and singing because it is a huge outlet. It doesn't solve life's problems but it reminds you that you can make something beautiful.

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

That is wonderful. Your violin was such a huge part of your life before--how fabulous to come back to something you love so much and get such a great result. I'm sure your violin missed you.

Kristie said...

I love what Noelle said! Amen to that! I can never forget the way you sounded when we were in HS, or at music camp goofing off in the practice rooms that year---you still made me slightly green with envy, but I loved you enough that I didn't care. Our senior year when you were so high up in the section, WOW! And your voice to go with it! You have the gift, my dear! I know how much it helps me---music. It's amazing and beyond human description that it does, a pure gift from God when used and made with grace. I would have LOVED to have been a dot on your wall to hear what you played and how you played! WOW!! You are wonderful!! I love you so much! Thanks for helping me to remember this! I need to just play too.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!