Thursday, July 1, 2010

Extreme Makeover bedroom edition

This year we decided to give Ember and Ben a room makeover for their birthdays instead of presents and a party. In April we began the task of redecorating Ember's room.

First on the list was scraping the old popcorn ceiling. It's 25 years old, a dust magnet, and our little angel has allergies and asthma so it had to go. Austin got to work on it while I was in Utah for BYU Women's Conference. It was all done when I got home, a really nice surprise! :)



After the old popcorn ceiling was scraped, we had my Brother-in-law Steve come and do the texturing. Then Austin painted the ceiling and we were ready to move onto the walls!

We let the kids help with the painting and they did a great job. Ember's favorite color is blue so we picked a pretty light-teal color that matches her new bedspread.

We had to rip up 25 year old carpeting in order to put in a new allergy-friendly floor. The carpet was surprisingly easy to pull out, the hard part was scraping off the glue. Austin did the scraping while I was in California with the kiddos on vacation. Austin didn't have any vacation time to spare so we traveled without him. After he got home from work every day he worked in her bedroom scraping that horrible glue. Once again, I came home from a trip to find that a nasty stage of the project had already been done. Austin, you rock!


Laying down the new floor! It's just a high quality linoleum since we were running out of money, but it turned out really nice and it has the texture of real wood. Ember really likes it.


Once the floor was finished we were finally ready to start moving in her furniture and accessories. I really love this flower arrangement I did. Gerber daisies are so cheerful, and that vase is metal so if she ever knocks it over, it won't shatter!

We found the dresser in someone's front yard and refinished it using a high gloss spray paint. It turned out great, and included with the dresser was this great mirror.


Finished Product (sort of, still awaiting window treatments, a chandelier from IKEA, and closet doors).


I think she likes it :)

Next up? Ben's room!

3 comments:

Austin said...

PHEWPH!! believe me when I say that room was a LOT of work.
Scraping the floor was definitely the hardest part.

I have to give a big thanks to two of my brothers, Preston and Casey, and my dad, Milton (and Steve as Jill mentioned). They helped me get the things done I couldn't do all by myself.

Gary & Sharlene Merrill said...

Love you guys....thank goodness that you have a great family....I love the room. You are awesome Jill and Austin.....

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

It looks wonderful. Decorating is basically exhilarating. I hope you had fun even though it was hard work.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!