Friday, January 29, 2010

This is a week late, but get over it... I just had my tubes tied :P

Last weeks big storm took Arizona by surprise. Come on people, doesn't anyone remember the awesome monsoon storms we used to get when I was a kid, late seventies early eighties? House shaking thunder, the power going out and the family sitting around candles or lanterns, torrential rain, people's trailer-park-roof landing in the middle of the freeway... now THOSE were storms. Today's kids are pansies, they don't know how to handle a real storm :) Actually, two kids broke three umbrellas that week. Either wind damage, or seven-year-old trying-to-make-a-weapon damage.

Austin took the kids down the road a bit to see the Salt River running, so close to our house. The kids thought those were real waterfalls, it was very cute. I think I heard somewhere that they had to open 3 dams.




I like this picture, THIS reminds me of my childhood storms. Once a palm tree was struck by lightning at the house right across the street from me when I was about 8. It was so loud, I woke up thinking something inside the house had exploded. I screamed, woke up mom and dad, and listened to the fire trucks approach. This tree wasn't hit by lightning, but by incredible wind. Can you believe the valley had a TORNADO?!



This downed tree is about a block and a half from my house.

I love it when Arizona has actual weather. I enjoy the sunshine and dry heat, but a really good storm wakes me up inside, like a jolt of electricity. As JoDee Messina puts it, "I am not afraid,and I'm thirsty anyway, so BRING ON THE RAIN!"


No comments:

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!