Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some days are worse than others


WARNING: Today's post is a long winded explanation of what my job entails at the Police Department, and why it sucked today. You can skip it if you want, I won't be offended. (Actually, I won't even know, which is even better).


Today was the first day I had any real energy since my procedure on Tuesday. I actually got up when my alarm went off and had a little time to go and get a new haircut before I had to go to work. Then a yummy turkey, pepperjack cheese, avocado and tomato sandwich on grilled sourdough bread. It couldn't get into my belly fast enough.

Then... I went to work. Normally, not such a big deal. Emily had a fever today so I was on my own, again normally not a big deal. Tonight it was though, no co-worker support and our supervisor doesn't work weekends.




A snotty officer called me and said right off the bat, "I can't believe I have to do this."

THIS meant calling me for help.




I was as polite as I could be, but the officer simply couldn't understand why I needed her to add an assault offense to her report because the suspect BIT the victim. The victim doesn't want to prosecute, but the state and FBI don't care about that... they just want to count every assault that happens, regardless of desire for prosecution and probable cause. (This is my job... crime reporting, statistics, and arguing with officers).

This officer said it was only disorderly conduct (not to mention DOMESTIC VIOLENCE) and she was upset that my unit had rejected her report back to her for correction. She said she was NOT going to do what I (and several others) had asked her to do because we were wrong. I told her that was great, I would just put her report on hold for my supervisor to review on Monday.
That made her angry (you mean she wasn't already?)

She talked down to me, she was rude and sarcastic, and she really didn't like it when I said her report would never get approved to public record until this correction was made.
I said that if she wanted to re-word her narrative in order for her report to pass inspection, that would be fine. She said she refused to falsify documents.
You mean you won't falsify an ASSAULT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN???
That was my point exactly, thankyouverymuch.



This is what I deal with every day. I have strict guidelines from the FBI that I have to follow, and most officers get that. This one just didn't like being told that she was wrong.

Well, does anybody like that? But seriously, she didn't have to be so rude. I had to walk laps around the building in order to calm down, I was prepared to be unprofessional to the next person I talked to.

So... sorry I bored you with such a long post about the details of my job, I just had to get that off my chest.
I can't wait until next week when this officer, and her sergeant, get a phone call from my supervisor explaining how I was right and she was wrong. :)


P.S. My brother is a cop, and the best one that I know. Not all cops are stupid and I thank my brother for teaching me that. Joe, you rock.



4 comments:

The Birthday Group said...

At least your job isn't dull!

Skinhorse said...

Maybe you could ask her out for a bite...to reconcile, ya know. Then, really BITE HER! See if she ends up thinking it's important to write up a report then!

Hot Diggity Daws said...

I had a Saturday like that with a nurse I had to give report to...she was packing serious attitude, now I suppose that is safer than a loaded weapon...bummer for you!

Sarah said...

5 words for this post...OFFICER RAZ CAN KISS IT!!!!!!!

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!