Monday, January 11, 2010

That's what Mom's are for

Mom has been asking me for my opinions on some scripture blocks that she's teaching to her early morning seminary class. I thought this was a pretty clever way for my mom to make sure I'm reading my scriptures (*wink*wink*) but I really like the challenge. I've only read two chapters so far, but I like the insight that the Lord is giving me.

Alma 2:28 The people prayed mightily until the Lord, for strength and deliverance. The armies of the Lamanites were large and powerful, and without the help of the Lord, who knows what would have happened? The Lord answered their prayers, they were strengthened, and they defeated their enemy.

Enemies are not always armies with swords. My enemy is my disease. Often, it is too big, powerful, and scary for me to handle myself. I cannot fight it alone. I have often prayed mightily unto the Lord for strength and deliverance. He has answered my prayers time and time again and I have been strengthened in times of my greatest need. My trial isn't taken away, I'm just made strong enough to handle it when it gets too bad.

It's fun to read the scriptures specifically looking for something to learn from it. It takes almost the same amount of time than just reading for the sake of reading, all you add is a little pondering into the mix.

Thanks for the challenge, Mom. Thanks for asking for my opinion, whatever it's worth. I love you :)

1 comment:

The Birthday Group said...

I, too, love reading the scriptures and the comfort and peace they bring in my life and my Bi-polar. I'm in the Old Testament now to go along with Gospel Doctrine and the most powerful thing recently for me was the story of Lot's wife. Don't look back! All my mistakes and the horrible things I did because of my disease has paralyzed my mind and I haven't been able to look to tomorrow and move ahead. This simple, few versus, was just what I needed to read and hear from the Lord. It came at a perfect time in my life. Also, I attended a Stake Enrichment Activity once where there was a session on scriptures and the lady said something I've always remembered. She said the scriptures are our workbooks, our tool book to get through life and prepare us to meet our Maker. Like, we are on a trip and we make a wrong turn, we turn to the map to help us get back on course. Except our map is our scriptures. Sorry to ramble. Love you and love your blog! P.S. I can't wait to get my stamps! :)

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!