Friday, September 23, 2011

Warning: long political post.

I feel like I need to make some sort of public statement about some local politics that are affecting me, and now affecting my kids.  This is directed at my neighborhood, my church, and my family.

I'm in Legislative District 18 in Mesa, Arizona.  My Senator, Russell Pearce, has been recalled and is running to keep his seat in a November election.  His opponent, Jerry Lewis, was my Stake President and is one of my Dad's best friends.  I call him a friend as well, he's been a great support to me in so many ways over the years.  He's an honest, hardworking, faithful, optimistic man, and I'm sure he'd work hard and do his best.  But he's not getting my vote.

I have a Russell Pearce sign in my front yard.  This has prompted comments on facebook, text messages, instant messages, emails, dirty looks, phone calls, etc., from other ward and stake members.  I was going to give the short answer, stand up for myself in a quiet and dignified way, but yesterday was the last straw.

Ember told me that some kids, either in the neighborhood or at school, have been asking her why our family doesn't like Jerry Lewis, why don't we have HIS sign in our yard like everyone else?  She felt ashamed, and had to ask me about it.

My response?  NEVER be ashamed of who you are and what you believe.  This election isn't about her, she can't vote, and she doesn't understand the recall or the politics.  I just used it as an opportunity to tell her that people disagree, but always stand up for what you believe in.  Don't let peer pressure make you change your mind, your behavior, or your beliefs.  I went to bed so angry last night because my daughter is being attacked because of a sign in my front yard, and I had to teach her to disagree civilly and respectfully when I felt like doing the opposite.

So I love Jerry, but here's why I'm voting for Pearce.  I believe this recall is wrong.  He's worked hard, he's authored or supported legislation that I believe in, he earned that seat through a legal and fair election, and he deserves to keep it.  The people who walked the city with petitions asking for signatures to get him recalled were misrepresenting themselves, one of them told me that this was for a regular election and if I signed the petition, that just gets Pearce's name on the ballot.  That sounds fair, and I only came to understand later that it was underhanded, misleading, dishonest, and it makes me wonder how many signatures they got that way that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Here's some of his voting record, to show you that I have done my research and I agree with his politics.

Abortion issues:
He voted to prohibit abortion based on race or gender, to prohibit non-physicians from performing abortions, to prohibit late term or partial birth abortions, to increase penalties for doctors who do perform late term or partial birth abortions, to take away public funding for abortions, and to require notorized parental consent for underage abortions.

Education:
voted for HB2557, requiring students to comply to academic standards in order to participate in physical or fine arts education, and for schools to keep their funding for those programs.  Specific schools within the district can vote on these programs on a case by case basis, but in general he is supportive.  I agree with this 100%.

Budget:
There are so many bills he voted on here, I can't highlight them all, but he voted for mandatory drug testing on those applying for state assistance programs.  He voted down tax increases for Arizonans.  He voted not to raise Arizona's debt ceiling, to keep the current debt limits, and to require the legislature to aquire funds to pay back interest on loans from somewhere besides the state general fund.  He voted to reduce corporate, income, and property taxes, including taxes on small businesses.  He voted down a temporary sales tax increase (because we all know, those are NEVER temporary).

Miscellaneous:
Voted no on a bill that would allow registered handguns in restaurants that serve alcohol.  Voted to increase penalties for people boating under the influence of alcohol.  He voted no on repealing legislative term limits.  (Even he knows he can't work there forever, and he shouldn't).  He voted to repeal state funding for campaigns.  He voted to keep the current definition of marriage.  Voted to reduce the burden of proof on self-defense use of force cases in law enforcement, in other words, Officer Involved Shootings.  (he's very supportive of law enforcement, which means so much to me personally).  Voted to end affirmative action.  He's voted lots of times regarding gun owners rights, and I'm a believer in the 2nd amendment.

IMMIGRATION:
SB1070... allows the State law enforcement agencies to be able to enforce existing Federal Laws, that the federal government refuses to enforce themselves.  I've read the bill... it's fair, it's not racial profiling, it mimics the federal law word for word and they cite specific examples throughout the bill so you can check for yourself.  I read the whole thing, so I could be informed.  We need to be able to protect ourselves, Arizona is becoming more violent.  I am not a racist person, but I do believe in the law.  If you're here illegally, you're a criminal, period.  Come here fairly, pay your taxes, enjoy our benefits and freedoms the right way, and if you don't?  Hopefully SB1070 will help our officers take care of you.
Increased employer sanctions for hiring undocumented workers.  Voted to have English be the official language.  Voted to require documentation of citizenship for benefits.  Increase border security.  Deport violent criminals... it goes on and on.  This one issue is very personal to him, his son was shot in the line of duty while trying to serve a homicide warrant by an illegal alien.


Pearce was a law enforcement officer for 23 years, was shot in the line of duty, and received the medal of valor.  He has a history of fighting for citizens rights, being tough regarding law enforcement, being tough on budget issues (yes, he had to cut funding on some things that were unpopular, like 1.5% from education, but he also believes strongly in a balanced budget).

I admire him, I respect him, I think he's doing a great job, and the recall is WRONG.

So for all you naysayers, finger pointers, and those who wouldn't sit next to me at church, THAT'S why I'm supporting Senator Pearce, so he can keep his job.  I am NOT voting against my friend, he has nothing to do with my decision.

Now quit hurting and teasing my daughter and accusing her, and our family, of not liking Jerry Lewis anymore, because that isn't true.

(This post is approved by Austin & Jill Lawlor)

p.s.  Thank you sooo much to my neighbors who put a Pearce sign in their yard, so we wouldn't have to be the only ones in the neighborhood.

p.p.s.  This is a 9/24/11/update to the original post:  No one at church has actually gotten out of their seat and moved away because I sat down.  I do get the sense that I'm being avoided, but I used that description to describe the vibe and the atmosphere around the church AND the neighborhood.  I will not point fingers or be any more specific than that, I'm trying to keep things civil for the sake of my kids.

7 comments:

Toni said...

You go Jill. Sometimes it's hard to stand up for what we believe in. What a great example you are showing your kids. Has anyone asked you personally why you have the sign? I am always intrigued by the number of people who "jump to conclusions" without gathering the facts for themselves. And not sitting by you in church? Really? Shame on those individuals. Christ would NEVER do such a thing. We are SO blessed to live in a country where we have the freedom to vote for WHOMEVER WE WANT. It saddens me that members of the church have forgotten that.

Sarah said...

Dear sweet Jill, I am always so happy to see how strong and open you are. People including myself trust you because you are that way. Even if those people disagree, they need to respect. Ember is so lucky to have you as a mother.

wOrKy GuRl said...

You are welcome for posting that sign! I had been wanting one and when you got one I just had to get one. We have received emails and have had people ask us "why Rusell Pearce?" It all comes down to the law, and making sure the law is enforced. You are right, the recall is WRONG! He has done a great job, he is standing up for what he believes in, and so am I. I support Pearce 100%. I have also had people think that we aren't voting for Lewis because we don't like him. We supported him as our Stake President, but I do not support him in politics. People need to remember to keep church and state separate. I feel like people are letting politics affect church. It's sad.

Unknown said...

Jill, I'm glad you have the courage to do what you believe is right and believe in despite what others might say or do. That isn't easy. I hope you hang in there. I've experienced the same kind of situation as you and your family but for me it was from those who are supporting Russell Pearce. You see, I was a part of the recall effort. Although I am a life-long Republican and have lived in LD 18 for 32 years, I have seen some great hurt done to many people I love and respect because of Russell Pearce and what I perceive to be his extreme views and actions. I'm sure he has also done good things but I'm ready for the divisiveness that runs rampant in our state and city to end. I know our views are miles apart politically but I do understand how it feels to be treated like a pariah for having the courage to stand up for your beliefs. I had people in my ward call me a Benedict Arnold and even close friends turned their backs on me. It got to the point where going to church was difficult and I was ready to ask for a boundary exception. I had to go to my Bishop and Stake President for help and counsel. Luckily, they were very helpful and encouraged me to hang in there. It was such a relief and blessing to me when Jerry Lewis decided to run. During the recall there were only 3 Latter Day Saints who had the courage to stand up against Russell Pearce. I felt so alone and wondered why so many good LDS people were supporting such a man. It has been so reassuring to find out there really were many who felt the same way as I did. Having Jerry Lewis run, helped bring those people out of hiding so to speak. Now, it is totally wrong for those very same people to harass you for having a different opinion or belief. So, hang in there. I hope all of us as Latter Day Saints can remember our true values and teachings and follow them and not allow this election to cause dissension and division.

Spencer Pearce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Jill - you and I live different places, have different political leanings, and different religions that may (or may not) inform our politics. But I just want you to know that I really respect how you approach politics, and especially how you explain it to your kids. Huge props from South Carolina for standing up for what you believe!

Rocky Road said...

Jill,
I couldn't disagree more with your political conclusions, BUT we love you and have for years! It doesn't matter if we disagree. I appreciate you courage to stand for your convictions. It is hard.

Please know that we respect and love you. We have appreciated your relationship with our son. You are welcome in our home any time and we would be honored to sit with you in church! We have come to a point in this country where politics and religion divide us as a people. It is ridiculous! Hang in there!

Rodney Ross (the older one)
Rodney Ross

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!