Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Grace-isms

So Grace-isms are hilarious when she's two, three, four, five, in Kindergarten... but they kinda stop being funny when she's in first grade, all day school, and I have my first parent teacher conference.

It's not a good sign when the teacher has to take a deep breath and sigh before she starts talking to you about your child.

Grace rocks in her chair and falls out.
Grace sits on the floor (to avoid falling out of her chair, and it's more comfy down there)
Grace draws on herself.
Grace sucks on her arms and hands, making loud slurping sounds and giving herself hickies and rashes.
Grace pokes her neighbors with sharpened pencils.
Grace sings and hums... constantly.  During tests, study time, lesson time, the girl is making up music.  She seriously can't stop.  Remember "Grace:  the Musical"?  mmmm hmmm.
Grace doesn't pay attention when the teacher is speaking.
Grace doesn't complete assignments correctly or on time.

Monday, Grace LICKED her desk.  (This is one week after I saw Contagion... I FREAKED out.)

Basically her teacher is a tad bit concerned.  She loves her, thinks she's a sweet girl, she's just making teaching her a little bit difficult.  She's very supportive of however we want to handle her behavior, however we choose to discipline her, however we choose to evaluate and treat her, I felt zero pressure or bullying from the teacher to do something I didn't want to do.  That was refreshing.  But we do have to do something, there are red flags all over the place.  I want my child to love learning, to love school, and to not feel like she's in trouble all the time.

So... here we go again.

May my child be herself, do good in school, and may the Grace-isms never end.

No comments:

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!