Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Arizona, have some chocolate!

I typically don't celebrate Valentine's Day, but last year I realized that it doesn't just have to be a made up Hallmark and Hershey holiday (nice alliteration, right?).  I decided to make it really fun and special for the kids.  I was up late making preparations, so it felt oddly like Christmas.

Idea number one was chocolate covered strawberries.  I do a dinner exchange with two other families in my neighborhood, I cook for them on Tuesdays, and then one of them brings our family dinner on Wednesday and Thursday, two less nights a week that I have to cook.  Since my night fell on the holiday this year, I decided to have a little fun with it!  We're having heart shaped meatloaf, strawberry and spinach salad, and chocolate covered strawberries.  I made enough for all three families, leaving plenty for my kids.  I spent a couple hours on the project, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into the first one later today!




After dinner and F.H.E. (and Grace watching Mary Poppins for the first time, epic), we put the kids to bed and got started on project number 2.  Austin helped me cut out paper hearts of different sizes and colors, and then we wrote the things that we love about our kids on each one and taped them up on the walls in their bedrooms.  Thanks again to Pinterest for the idea!  (My life revolves around this website, seriously).  They were excited to see their wall valentine's when they woke up this morning.





Still didn't go to bed.  Next we prepared the breakfast table so it would be decorated with their special valentine's when they got up for school, even if they woke up before we did.  They got a "bouquet" of heart suckers, a tiny pail of jelly beans, and a box of chocolates.  Yes, I'm pumping my kids full of sugar and I will definitely complain about their behavior later.  I did it to myself, I know, I know.






And most important of all is my funny Valentine.  Really, he's very funny, he tries to make me laugh every day.  I decided to buy him a gift that would make him (and me) laugh, every time he wore it.


Yea, if you watch the Office, this is HILARIOUS!  
Even if you don't watch The Office, this is pretty cute.

Austin surprised me with roses this morning, and 
a beautiful poem which he published on Facebook.



From Austin:


Jill, I love you...

Because you love me the best,
Especially when I'm not at mine.
Specifically when I've had a hard day,
Time is what I like to give and to get.
For me, God created someone very special
Required to help me grow and develop.
I admire the way you keep persevering,
Even though, sometimes, I know you'd prefer just to quit.
Now is the time to remind you I love you.
Definitely, Jill, you are my best friend. 

Happy Valentine's Day to my best friend of...a lot of years.




I sure do love this man!

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

And Happy 100th birthday to my favorite State!

.

1 comment:

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

I LOVE the valentine notes for the kids. And I love that you did it together.

Also, chocolate covered strawberries are basically the best. ever. seriously. You go, Jill.

I thought Austin's poem on facebook was so thoughtful. Good for him too.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!