Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mom's field trippin'

I went with Ember's 5th grade class to the Flight Simulation Center at Lowell Elementary school today.  Ember had already been studying during the past weeks about the tacometer, altimeter, banking and pitching, but it was new to me.  (sort of... I have watched airplane disaster movies).

They practiced in these pretend cockpits first, using the control stick and pedals to maneuver their aircraft, all while keeping an eye on all the gauges.

 

Ember in the aircraft simulator.  This one was electronic and responded to her controls.  She got to "fly" this one after a few practice flights on the computer simulator.  She landed once, and she crashed once.  50% isn't bad, but it won't get you a job for United.

This is the helicopter simulator, made from real helicopter parts from the same model that the Mesa Police Department uses.  Ember has ridden in a helicopter just like this once before... sort of.  She was in my tummy; I was pregnant with her when I did my "ride-a-long" when I was a new employee with Mesa PD.
I like being a field trip Mom.  I like it when I'm in charge of 4 or 5 of her little friends and they all come to Mrs. Lawlor for help.  I like spending time with my daughter.  We had a great day together, thanks Ember.

2 comments:

Toni said...

So cool! I want to do this field trip!

Dreamweaver Braids said...

I was able to go with Hope for her class. I really enjoyed it too. They teach them so much there, don't they?

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!