Monday, May 3, 2010

Mom-isms: Women's Conference part 4


For the past few years Mom and I have stayed in the dorms on campus at BYU. We're always roommates, and it's like a grown-up slumber party.

As with other years, Mom had a couple awesome and funny things to share with me that I will call "Mom-isms".

1. First night we talked about her seminary class and she told me to read 3 Nephi ch. 17-19 and make a note of everything I learned about prayer. The Savior set the example, showed us how to pray (bowing and kneeling, 17:15, 19:6, 8, 16, 19, 27) and to pray to the Father in His name (17:3, 18:19, 20, 23, 24, 19:6, 7, 8). There are lists of things we should pray for (17:3, 14, 18:20, 21, 19:20), how often, (18:18, 19:24, 26, 30, 20:1), and why we should pray (18:15, 18, 19:9, 28).

That's a lot of information on prayer! It prompted some really cool discussions, and then of course we prayed together every night before we crashed in our really uncomfortable dorm room beds. (** More on the uncomfortable rooms later).

2. Mom and I exercised using resistance bands and while we were working out she said, "I eat right, I exercise, I do everything I'm supposed to be doing, and I'm STILL getting old!" Nice.

Ok, I guess I only have two Mom-isms for now, but they're good ones!


** Uncomfortable rooms: Beds hard as a rock, blankets as soft as brill-lo pads, air conditioning turned on the first night it snowed (yea, I slept only 2 hours because of my shivering and hypothermia), and pillows that kept sliding out from under my head. Weird. I'm so glad to be back home in my own bed, snuggling with a warm husband and not freezing my patootie off.


No comments:

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!