Thursday, October 30, 2008

Crohn's Disease

I have Crohn's disease. I was going to upload a picture to explain what this is and how it affects my body, but they're all extremely gross. Just go to Google and type in Crohn's disease and search the images section. You'll see what I mean.

Most people with Crohn's understand what they can and cannot eat. Things like popcorn, nuts, wheat, or dairy products often cause a flare up of symptoms. I've never had trouble with any foods in any amounts, so I considered myself pretty lucky. This week I carved pumpkins with my kids, so naturally I toasted the pumpkin seeds. I mixed some olive oil, worchestershire sauce, garlic and onion powder and seasoning salt and baked them until they were crispy. They were delicious! Also, they cause a flare up of my symptoms.

Without being too gross, the seeds won't digest. They can't pass through the terminal illeum (the part of the intestines where the small bowel meets the large bowel) because I have pre-existing inflamation and scar tissue. They aren't being broken down into more easily digestible pieces, and I'm suffering some serious stomach pain. I've put myself on an all liquid diet, because I throw everything else up. If this doesn't get better by tomorrow I'm taking myself to the emergency room. Those pumpkin seeds were delicious, but I'm not sure it's worth the trade off. Aurgh!!!!! (That's a real word).

No comments:

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!