Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A date which will live in infamy

This is kind of a long post... if you want, you can come back later when you have more time :)


I am so grateful that my children attend a school that emphasizes patriotism, because that's something that I've always tried to teach them at home.  Their flag was flown at half mast today and two of my three kids could tell me why.  Grace wasn't paying attention during the assembly :)

Because today, 70 years later, we remember and honor those who died at Pearl Harbor, the attack on our nation that brought the United States into World War II.

My Grandpa Shipley served in the Army in that war, receiving several citations and medals for bravery.  My Grandpa Meacham served in the Air Force as an Officer.  Austin's Grandpa  Jennings served in the Navy, and was AT Pearl Harbor the day of the attack, stationed on the U.S.S. Tennessee.  Our family history is rich with heroes, both in and out of the military.

Ember asked me why it was so important to remember that day, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy.  I told her that we always need to honor and remember our fallen heroes.  We need to remember why the United States got involved in the war.  We need to remember that there are things worth fighting for.  We need to review the tragedies and mistakes of the past so we don't repeat them.



As many of you already know, I leave thank you notes on the windshields of vehicles bearing a Veteran license plate.  The kids have gotten very good at helping me spot them.  The content of my note is simple, I just point out that I noticed their license plate and wanted to share my respect and gratitude for their sacrifice and service for our country.  It isn't unnoticed, I wish I could do more than just leave a card, and I am very thankful for them.

Today I had to pull the kids out of school for a couple hours for a dentist appointment.  In the parking lot of the dental office, we found a Veteran plate.  I was out of handwritten cards, but I had already purchased a new package that was still sealed, all the cards blank.   (I like to write them in advance so I can leave one in a hurry if I have to).  We rushed into the dentist office, checked everybody in, then opened up the thank you cards.  I wrote my usual note, then left room for each of my kids to write their own thank you.  I sealed the envelope and let Ember be the one to sneak out to the vehicle and carefully place it under a windshield wiper (so it wouldn't fly away).

The kids were thrilled with themselves.  We saw the driver of the vehicle later, and it was an elderly woman in her 80's or even 90's.  There's a good chance that either she or her husband was a WWII Veteran.  That made the gift today a little bit more poignant and meaningful to the kids.  The idea of lifting someone's spirit anonymously was thrilling to them.

After we finished our appointments and had pronouncements of no cavities all around, we went out to eat.  We like Wendy's, because everything the kids like is 99 cents.  While they were eating, we were all talking about our nations Veterans, and we were talking about today's' remembrance of that one event that changed American History.  I was asking them to do the math, 1941 to 2011, and figure out what anniversary it was.  We talked about their great-grandfathers who had sacrificed and served, and what we can do to honor them now, even though they've passed on.  We talked about the importance of knowing and understanding the history of our country, and how we can be good citizens today.

The kids got up to use the bathroom or refill their drinks or something, but I was alone for a minute at the table.  An elderly gentleman sitting at the next table leaned over to me and said, "I just wanted to say thank you."

Huh?  What?

"Thank you for teaching your children the truth, for teaching them history.  You have very thoughtful and intelligent children.  You seem like a very patriotic family."

I thanked him profusely, and I was so proud of my kids at that moment.  I was proud of myself.  I am proud of my country.  I have never been given such a high compliment from a stranger before, and it literally brought me to tears several times today remembering it.  I really am so proud to be an American, and I am doing my best to make sure my kids are too.  I'm trying to teach them honor and respect for those who serve them, and protect them, sometimes at the cost of their lives.

So on this Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, I hope everyone took a moment to appreciate the freedoms we have, the lives that were lost to gain and protect them, and the amazing example that the Greatest Generation has set for us, their posterity.

God Bless the USA.


.

1 comment:

Krystall said...

What a thoughtful gesture to do for the Veterans. I have never thought to do that! Your post brought me to tears. Thank you for remembering this day and helping us all as well. :)

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!