Friday, December 9, 2011

A common misconception

Last year my daughter Ember was concerned at the use of "X-mas" in Christmas cards, advertising, and a note from a friend.  We did what most Christian parents do, tell her that it was inappropriate because it X's out the Christ in Christmas, and to ignore it when you see it and never use it herself.


Then we did a little research based on something Austin overheard, and here's what we found out.

The 'X' actually represents the Greek letter Chi, and is the first letter in the Greek word  Χριστός.
Translated, it means Christ.  The 'mas' part is from the Latin derived word for 'Mass', one of the names which the sacrament is called in the Catholic Church.  It is a memorial of the crucifixion and resurrection, or the Holy Sacrifice.

The second letter used in Χριστός is Rho, and paired together, Chi Rho, literally translates to Christ.  XR is a christogram, like a monogram, that represents the Savior.  The 'p' is often removed leaving the 'X' as the remaining symbol that truly represents our Savior.

(The Chi Rho christogram, a symbol of Christ)


So saying Merry X-mas is NOT X-ing Christ out of the holiday, it is actually a symbol of Him and of his sacrifice.  X=Christ, 'mas'=sacrifice, or sacrament.  


Once we explained this to the kids they were more comfortable when they saw that abbreviation.  I bring it up again this year because there have been concerns brought up on facebook by my friends and family who are Christian that this is inappropriate, and they are teaching their children that it is NOT ok to use the Chi Rho, or the X-mas abbreviation, to the point of making their kids feel afraid of it, or bad for having used it.

If you are more comfortable with spelling out the complete word, I understand.  I like to spell out the name of Christ also.  But I think we should dispel the misinformation, fear, and judgement of those who use the abbreviation and be more accepting.  

In general.

About everything.

Christ is our judge, we shouldn't judge each other but only follow his commandment to love one another.  Especially at this time of year when we celebrate his birth, and his entry into mortality to do what His Father sent Him to do.

So Merry X-mas to you, and Merry Christmas to you... it means the same, and I mean it from my heart.


3 comments:

Spencer said...

Very cool, Jill. Great research and explanation to the kids!

Now, what does this tell us about the X-Men?

Jill said...

The three wise men? maybe? Spencer, you ALWAYS make me laugh. I told my daughter last week about a friend I had in high school who often spoke like Beeker from the Muppets, interrupting whatever it was we were talking about. Do you remember that? Now she does it to me all the time... "mee mee mee mee mee mee!"

Toni said...

I think most people today write x-mas to "avoid" using Christ (sad I know!) - but I think it is really cool, that little do they know they ARE "saying" his name ;-). I love it when Heavenly Father thwarts Satan's plots - ha ha haaa!

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!