Saturday, December 20, 2008

A humble Christmas greeting

I've been showcasing my kids talents this Christmas season, and I wanted to add a bit of my own. I tried to upload a video of me playing a few of my favorite Christmas Hymns on the piano, but my internet connection was not cooperating. At least I have the video on my hard drive to show my kids.

I took piano lessons for years growing up, not understanding the financial sacrifice my parents made to provide them until I was older. I'm not as good as I once was, getting rusty from disuse, and my piano is in need of a good tuning. My playing is a humble effort at filling my home with the Christmas Hymns I love. I want my children to know what I spent years learning how to do, and maybe they'll want that for themselves someday. They show occasional interest, but after one lesson they decide it's too much work and want to go back to playing outside or watching TV. That's the other sacrifice my parents made, my mom especially; she sat at my side to make sure I practiced every single day, and that couldn't have been an easy job. My talent is the product of her diligence.

Strangely, Austin and I were typing our blog posts at the same time, and about the same thing. He almost NEVER blogs, how weird is that? I really enjoyed my practicing tonight, and I'm so glad that someone enjoyed listening. I love the piano, and I love music. Thanks for being my audience tonight, Austin.

1 comment:

Hot Diggity Daws said...

Good for you playing the piano. IT really is sad to think of all the financial sacrifices parents make, totally unappreciated by their children! I wish I had practiced sufficiently! No time like the present I suppose.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!