Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mason Jar Jack-o-Lanterns


I actually made something that I DIDN'T find on Pinterest!  I'm going to pin it though, and see how far it goes.  This craft is for our Girl's retreat weekend, so you Lawlor girls, DON'T MAKE THESE:  I bought enough for us to make them together :)  Everyone else, I did this with my family for our Monday night activity and it's so easy even kids can do it.

First you cut out the pieces of your Jack-o-Lantern face out of blue painters tape, it's less sticky.  Tape the face in place on the back side of your jar, the one without the raised label.  You can use acrylic paint and a paintbrush here if you want, but I find that spray paint is much faster and just as effective.  Turn your jar upside down and spray the entire thing orange.

I made mine in three different sizes

If you want, you can put on one extra coat of glitter paint either in orange or clear glitter, to give your jar a little extra sparkle.  Glitter spray paint comes in smaller cans and costs more and it doesn't go very far, I got about 5 or 6 jars out of one can, so I only did every few jars with glitter.

Next you paint the lid green or brown.  I chose green, it's more cheerful.  I used acrylic paint this time because it's not as sticky as spray paint and I want to be able to take the lid on and off easily.

After everything is dry, carefully peel off your painters tape and your Jack-o-Lantern face is revealed!  Screw on the green lids, and voila, you have a cute, inexpensive Halloween decoration!  I take the center piece out of the lid if I want to use real candles, for ventilation, otherwise with the whole lid put together I use battery powered candles.  I also made a few to fill with candy corn for the sisters I visit teach.

These lovelies are the ones my husband and kids made!

For my pumpkins, I tied raffia bows around the outside of the lid and either tucked in or glued flowers, berries, fall leaves, or ribbon.  If you tie it just to the outside ring of the mason jar lid you can remove the center piece and use it with real candles.



It's October!  Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Rachael and Jeff Downs said...

Those are SOOO adorable!! And such a great idea! I might steal it from you and make my own... :D

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!