Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Child abuse on TV




She is SIX years old.  In a bikini, spray tanned, wearing heavy makeup.

I watched a few episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC tonight, and it was like a train wreck... I really couldn't look away.  I was watching child abuse happen on TV.  These Mom's are ruining these girls forever, their self-esteem will forever be wrapped up in whether or not someone else approves of them, votes for them, gives them a prize.  What kind of mother tells her screaming daughter who doesn't want to put on her full glitz dress, "Do you want to look like Barbie or not?!"


Here's some actual quotes I heard tonight that made me so angry:

*child's whisper*  "Mom, I don't like you."
Mom's response to the camera:  "She just loves pageants, we're here for her."
"It's time to bleach your teeth, get back here!"
"You need a spray tan, you look sick and I can see your freckles."
"Baby, you need to put on your eyelashes, please!"  (to a 2 year old)
"If I don't win a crown, I'm going to feel really really really bad about myself."
"The pretty kids are the popular ones."
"I'm not embarassed when she hits and screams, it's kind of cute."
*screaming* "Do you want to win this or not??"
"Don't cry, now we have to redo your makeup!"
"Just take the pain, baby girl."

Does an 18 month old baby need a spray tan?
Do 5 year olds need hair extensions?
Is a bikini/swimsuit competition appropriate?
They wear more makeup in one day than I wear in a month!


I am appalled, and so sad.  These girls are being trained to be judged, and the prettiest and most talented always wins.  They will seek someone else's approval their whole lives, and as a result will be at risk of being abused or suffer from depression. I may not be the best Mom in the world, but watching these pageant Mom's for even five minutes makes me feel a whole lot better about my parenting style.
 
My girls like to dress up, and they like a cute outfit or pretty necklace like any little girl, but hopefully I'm teaching them that true beauty is on the inside.  They do get to dress up for ballet recitals, but the costumes are modest and their hair is just in a bun.  I'm proud of their athleticism and grace and discipline in learning to dance, but they know that even with that, their value doesn't lie in ballet.  My girls are learning to love, learning to serve, learning to forgive, learning to develop their talents and their intelligence, and they are so beautiful to me.


 

3 comments:

Haleybug said...

"My girls are learning to love, learning to serve, learning to forgive, learning to develop their talents and their intelligence, and they are so beautiful to me."
Sounds to me like your doing a pretty awesome job! ;) we all do what we can with the trials we've been given personally. There is no such thing as real life Superwoman....she's animated isn't she? Don't beat yourself up Jill- you're teaching them what's important and that's a darn difficult thing to do these days especially with the crap on tv and all around us daily!

Austin said...

I agree, those type of shows make me angry.

Noelle @ Mesa AZ Photography said...

Amen!

Those shows really offend me too.

Want to get to know me? Visit this post!